Friday, November 04, 2005

This Present Darkness

Years ago when our kids were young, Nancy and I would load everybody into our Brady Bunch Oldsmobile Station Wagon with simulated wooden sides, hook up the 14' Ski Boat and head up to Lake Almanor for two weeks.

One year we took a hike through The Subway Caves, a network of lava tubes in Lassen Volcanic Park. Halfway through the cave our ranger guide told us to stop, hold hands, and stand still. He turned off his flashlight. The total blackness that envelopes you is indescribable. You begin to lose your sense of up and down. Your only link to the world of light are the hands you are holding onto.

This darkness began to surround me again on Friday October 21st at 6 PM when I heard the results of Val's Pathology report.

Just minutes before, I was happily giving Tyler a bath upstairs. Sensing that Val was on the phone with the doctor downstairs, I prayed for the sound of footsteps racing up the stairs to shout that everything was OK. But that was not to be.

Thinking about what we know today compared to that Black Friday, I sense that light is beginning to permeate the darkness in a very strange but persistent way. As I was telling Nancy late Wednesday night after her return from LA, I can sense a persistent glow on the horizon.

God's word has something to say about His light overcoming the darkness.

Samuel saw it.

"You are my lamp, O LORD; You turn my darkness into light"

"When His lamp shone upon my head, I walked through the darkness"

"He is like the light of morning on a cloudless sunrise, like the brightness after a rain"

David saw it.

"You, O LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light."

"The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?"

"Even in darkness light dawns for the upright"

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."

"Even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you."

Isaiah saw it.

"The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned."

"Your sun will never set again, and your moon will wane no more; the LORD will be your everlasting light, and your days of sorrow will end."

Daniel saw it.

"He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him."

Matthew saw it.

"The people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned."

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden."

"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

John saw it.

"The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."

"This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all."

Jesus is the light.

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

And now it is our turn, Dear Saints of God Most High. As His servants of old have testified, We shall behold Him.

Posted by Richard Sloan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home