Friday, November 04, 2005

Friday's Latest

Val had a colonoscopy today and got a report of "all clear." This is great news that we don't need to worry about that part of her body! Her cancer is confined to her liver and some lymph nodes behind the pancreas. Next week she will begin chemotherapy and has decided to work with Cedar Sinai Hospital. The physicians there are world class and are very attentive to Val and her care. Valerie will spend a few days there next week learning about her treatments and how to administer them at home. What a comfort that she can complete her chemotherapy at home and not have to drive to L.A.

Val's dad Richard and her brother Paul work for Genentech in Oceanside. This company manufactures a drug called Avastin that the oncologists are considering to add to her chemo regimen. Avastin is primarily used to treat colon cancer, but her doctors think it could help shrink her tumors. Richard is in contact with executives at Genentech to see if they could help in this arrangement. Insurance will not cover the use of Avastin since Val does not actually have colon cancer, but Richard has so far gotten good response from the Genentech executives. What an amazing connection and opportunity.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could say all that everyone says as eloquently as they do...however, my words do not come out as such! In my simplicity...Val, you are a true inspiration. I have learned more from you and your family in the last few weeks, than I have ever learned in my 35 years thus far. And I believe...you will be healed. I say it a thousand times a day...You will be healed! You are in God's hands...He is holding you every minute of every day...and your family too. He WILL fulfill His promise to you. Our prayers continue...God bless! Breathe and Believe!
Love always,
Kerry Randall

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val, what can I say that hasn't been said. Know that you are loved by so many and we are here with you every step of the way. Although we may not have talked since that Dark Friday. I have talked to you everyday in my prayers. I will continue to walk with you and talk with you through this next leg. Your family is so amazing...I am so glad you are surrounded by so much love. OOOOO Please take that as a BIG HUG from us. We will miss you guys for Thanksgiving at the river, but I'll look forward to the next time I hear "What's up!" You go girl.
Stay strong....If there's anything we can do....(you know the rest!)

Love you...

Jody

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home