Friday, December 30, 2005

Happy New Year!

I just wanted to say Happy New Year to you all! I guess you could say the last few months of 2005 have been the hardest 3 months of my entire life. I thought just being a Mom to three boys was hard. I never thought that on top of that would be added a very rare cancer that is inoperable (at this point). I am however doing pretty well under the circumstances. I am on my knees everyday asking God for grace, hope faith and peace to get through every day. I have been feeling good also. There is one area that causes me some pain but other than that I have been weathering the storm well. Next week on Tuesday I get my PET/CT scan that determines how the Chemo is working and then I get Chemo on Wends. A few prayer requests for next week are.
1. The scan shows shrinkage in the tumors.
2. Chemo goes well and I am able to keep the Chemo down.
3. My pain level after Chemo is tolerable or non-existant.
4. The Avastin drug will be covered through my insurance or I can be added to a trial that is open right now.
5. My kids are all sick right now. Baby and Gavin have colds, Ryan has posion oak. Pray I do not get sick and my gets get better quick.
I am looking forward to 2006 and moving closer towards a full recovery. I know it is a long road to get there but I am convinced I will. Of cource it will ALL BE TO GOD"S GLORY!!!!!!! I tell him that every day.
God Bless,
Valerie

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Valerie:

Although we've never met, I want you to know that I pray for you every day. I'm convinced that you have the right ingredients to beat this thing.....hands down. Your faith, ostive attitude, strength, courage and commitment to the cause will serve you well through this battle. Always remember that you become what you think about most, so keep thinking those postive, healthy thoughts and stay the course with God. He is holding you in the palm of his hand and will never let you go. Wishing you and your family a peace filled holiday. :)
Michelle

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Valerie & Chris - Patrick and I think about you all often and hope that 2006 brings nothing but positive news with continued strength and healing.

All our best to you and your family.

Happy New Year!!

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear McCrea family,

i was greatly saddened when i read a post about Valerie's diagnosis, given her young age.

my reason for writing is that i have cholangiocarcinoma (diagnosed in 2003 during surgery at a Kaiser hospital... a nightmare) and was turned down by my insurance company (Blue Cross)in Aug this year for Avastin. i appealed and also approached "Single Point of Contact" at 1-888-249-4918 to appeal for compassionate use. you have to make less than $75,000 a year. there was no guarantee that i would be approved, however we were very close to approval (per a contact person at Norris) when Blue Cross approved me post my written appeal. i am being treated at Norris Cancer Center in Los Angeles and was told that if i had to pay out of pocket they would give me a deal of $7,000 per treatment.

at 62 years of age my heart breaks for you as i have two daughters older than you and one your age.

i have had two surgeries. i am on chemo and started in April 2004, had a break earlier this year while i watched my turmor marker climb. restarted chemo in July and changed chemo in November. i have tumors in my liver and most likely in both lungs.

when i read that your father and brother work for Genetech, i was stunned to learn that Genetech has not stepped up to the plate to help you. write an appeal to your insurance company (you might need to write more than one) and if you fit into the income bracket you can try the compassionate drug route.

take care and i wish you all the best.

sincerely,
barbara hartley

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val,
I pray for you everyday, you are a fighter, and I know that you will beat this!

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Valerie,
Happy New Year to you and your family! Be assured that we are praying for you in Michigan. We think you are amazing with your strong faith, your positive outlook and determination to get well. Thank you for laying out your prayer requests for the week so we can stay on target praying most effectively.
Love and blessings,
Aunt Judy and family

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home