Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Chapter Two Begins

A better story of God's grace, mercy, and power has never been told. A mighty fortress is our God.
Today we wrote the last words of chapter one. Now I have a better idea of how the Apollo 13 astronauts must have felt as they splashed down in the waters of the warm Pacific Ocean.
Val had a PET/CT scan today to assess the effects of eight weeks of chemo. The PET (Positron emission tomography) Scan picks up the metabolic signal of actively growing cancer cells in the body, and the CT (computerized tomography) scan provides a detailed picture of the internal anatomy that reveals the size and shape of abnormal cancerous growths.
Val's Oncologist Dr. Drazin came into the exam room after receiving the PET Scan results. We knew something was up when we saw the smile on his face.
Remember, the PET Scan measures the "life" of the cancer. The result: the cancer is not growing and appears to have diminished to some extent. As Luke Skywalker said, the "Force" may not be with us much longer.
We will get the CT results in a day or so. This is a picture that will give us another piece to the puzzle.
To say that we are totally stoked is a vast understatement.
The second huge piece of good news is that the insurance company has approved the use of Avastin. This is due in large part to Char's behind the scenes bulldogged leveraging of people and who knows what else. Maybe we don't want to know everything!
For you Charger Fans (if there are any left), LaDainian Tomlinson could not have carried the ball on this run like Char did!
Dear Saints of God Most High, thank you for your prayers for these victories that we have realized today. Continue to pray as Val starts her 2nd 8-week chapter of chemo. Pray also for healing for Chris' back. He is a great soldier who is in a lot of pain.

Godspeed,

Val's Dad

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was on my way to bed tonight...when I thought I MUST check the blog ONE LAST TIME to see if you had any answers from today...I am crying tears of joy like I have never cried before!!! I am down on my knees thanking our Lord above for what you have received thus far. There are simply no words to describe the power of our Father!
My prayers for you and your family will continue day and night until Val receives the 100% clear!!! I KNOW it will happen!
For now...REJOICE and BELIEVE...and rest in peace knowing that you are all covered in prayer and always will be. God Bless you now and always. Val...remember that "Winner's Circle"...hold on to that...you are on your way!
All our love,
Kerry Randall

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val, I check your site daily and last night I was on a plane back from NJ, and couldn't log on, so I prayed for you. Now, along with the rest of your family and friends, I am thanking God for not just one but two answered prayers. I've been confident all along that God will heal you, but it's always so amazing to actually see the results of faith and prayer. Go, go, go! You are on your way.
Love you,
Michelle G.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val & family -
We heard the good news today from Charlene and are keeping you guys in our prayers for the upcoming medical results. Stay strong and we all love you guys!

-Matt, Sara, and Jack Kellogg

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val,
What fantastic news! When you called last night and shared your good news I could barely sleep. It felt like Christmas. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in Dr. Drazen's office when he walked in with a smile on his face - however, the biggest smile had to be on your happy face!!!!!
I hope that the chemo went ok today and that the side effects are minimal to none.
I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks........I soooooo appreciate you making the effort to come all the way to my wedding to make sure that I am not the runaway bride :)

Here's to continued good news! Praise God,

Marianne

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home