Sunday, January 01, 2006

A Father's Heart

Last night my wife Nancy and I were sitting together in the Edwards San Marcos Theatre watching "Walk The Line", a movie about the life of Johnnie Cash. Sitting there, I could not help but remember another similar event years ago. My wife and I were sitting in the Mann Theatre in Rancho Bernardo watching "La Bamba", a movie about the life of Richie Valens (a late 50's rock and roll singer for those of you who didn't quite make the baby boomer cut).
In the middle of the movie, the film stopped, the lights went on, and a man walked to the front of the theatre and asked if Richard and Nancy Sloan were in the audience. A bit stunned, we got up and went to the lobby. I took the phone that was waiting for us. My daughter Julie told me that Valerie had been in an accident on Cole Grade Road in Valley Center. She was having brain surgery at Palomar Hospital.
Now in what seemed to be a movie of our own, Nancy and I reached out and clenched the hand of our Father. The 7 mile trip to the hospital seemed to be 1,000. As we walked down the corridor to ICU, I could see my son Jeff sitting on the floor slumped against the wall. Crying.
We were taken into Valerie's room. As we approached the bed, I realized that the head injury had caused such severe swelling that I could not recognize her face. I asked the nurse to expose her shoulder so I could see a large birthmark. She did. There was no birthmark.
After a frantic search, we realized that this was a friend of Val's with a similar car. At the time of the accident, Val's ID was found in the car. Sadly, Kim Powers left our world of time and space the next morning.
My clearest memory of the events of this night was when I gathered my family in my home on Laslo drive and said, "this is as hard as it gets in this life." I was wrong.
When Moses asked The God of Heaven His name, He said, "I AM". When the Pharisees questioned Jesus about his age, He said, "before Abraham was, I AM".
As a father, on this 1st day of 2006, I reach out to clench the hand of He whose name is I AM. And He is with me. The Ancient of Days. The High King of Heaven. God Most High. May His name be praised forever.
And he is with you. The grace of The Lord Jesus be with God's people. Amen.

Val's Dad

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy & Richard,
I can only try to understand how difficult the latter part of 2006 has been for you both. Your unwavering faith and belief in the Lord God our Father has kept you strong and positive. Valerie has such a strong and vibrant spirit. She has faced this beast with the strength amd fortitude of a gladiator at war. She knows how much you love her and continue to be a very large part of her recovery. She is so blessed to have parents like both of you. She is also blessed to have a husband who loves her so very much and 3 beautiful boys who need her very much. I believe with all of my heart that God is listening to all of your prayers everyday.
Mark & I were driving home this morning and it was very gloomy out and grey. I called Val on the drive and as we said our goodbyes I looked up and saw the sun shining brightly. You have to understand we haven't seen the sun in two weeks here in Michigan and when we see it, it's only peeking out of the snow clouds.
I turned to Mark and said I feel her recovery coming. I had a very strong feeling that she will be ok. The prayers and support have been astounding to me. She has touched so many lives all across the country. People have come together to bring food to her family everynight. It has been inspiring to me to see the goodness in your neighbors, new friends from Ryan's school, old friends, your Aunt Char's help with moving things through the system quickly and decisively, your brothers and sisters support and love, everyone whoese lives you have touched.................
You are so loved Valerie,

Happy New Year to you all!

Love,
Marianne Rose

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy, Richard, Chris and Valerie:
Richard...your words are so incredibly powerful...your faith, so unwavering. The last few months have not been easy or good for any of you, yet you all remain one very strong, steadfast family team. I have said it before...and I will say it again...you are an incredible family with such strength and spirit. You are truly an inspiration to so many!!! And without any of you knowing it...you have been an enormous inspiration to me...I feel blessed beyond words to have met Valerie and her friends and family.
And as we bid farewell to 2005 and a new year is here once more, visions of future promise lay ahead! Old days have passed and a fresh new start is here for the taking. ALL is OPTIMISM!!! I believe Val, that you will blaze the path this year...the path to complete health. Like Marianne said...God IS listening to all of the prayers being said. He is walking with you and your family on this journey. Your prayers will be answered my friend!!! Remember the Cross in the clouds that day in San Clemente??? A small sign He is with you...protecting you.
There is a poem that says:
"Life is a book in volumes three...
The past, the present, and the yet-to-be...
The past is written and laid away..
The present we are writing everyday...
And the last and best of volumes three...
Is locked from sight...God keeps the key."
Val, the past, the diagnosis...is laid away. The present, is your strength and courage and the battle you are winning...that is what you are writing. And the last, the best of Volume three...the one locked from our sight...is God's plan for you...your complete recovery in His time. Believe...
For all of you, I pray that your faith remains unwavering and that you feel His love surrounding you. I pray that you know deep in your hearts that we are all here for each and every one of you. I pray that God blesses you and your amazing family this new year of 2006...
And although we do not know what still awaits, or what tomorrow will bring. With the glad salute of Faith...we will greet whatever it may be with open wings! For this we know...that in our Lord, all our needs will be met. And we can trust the heart of HIM, who has not failed us yet.
In His name, we pray,

All our love,
Kerry Randall

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Val, Chris and boys. It was really great to see you a couple of weeks ago irrespective of any circumstances. The interval was too long; we should get together more often. Please accept all of our hope, strength and faith for positive news and the recovery we know is underway.

Love,
Brad, Laura and Maegan

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val and Chris...as we begin the New Year our thoughts and prayers go out to you. We will be thinking of you tomorrow, as I know this is a big day. We are looking forward to some good news. You were missed deeply at the River this passed week. Things will never be the same there. Maybe a trip out there is in the future...We miss you guys lots...Take care and stay strong!

Lots of Love,
Jody and Chuck

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home