Friday, November 17, 2006

Emerald Green

While Val and I were at USC went found a list in a shop there that has all of the different "support colors" for all of the different cancers. Although we did not find bile duct cancer since it is so rare, the closest thing was liver cancer. Since the bile ducts go throught the liver cholangiocarcinoma is often called liver cancer. At any rate the official color is emerald green. We bought out the shop of all of their wristbands, pins, and car magnets.

We were so happy to find a symbol for support of Val's specific cancer. Lance Armstrong, the Susan B. Coman Foundation, and Team in Training have done unbelievable jobs at raising awareness, support, and fundraising for more common cancers, but none of that support goes toward gastrountestinal cancers such as cholangiocharcinoma. I want to buy green t-shirts and wear all of my green support wear and shout from the mountain tops that this cancer needs attention, research, support and HOOPLA too!!!

So keep the pink, keep the yellow, but GO GREEN!

www.choosehope.com

Go to this site and order wristbands, hats, tshirts, pins, magnets..... And when someone asks you what all the green is about you can tell them about VAL. One day Valerie McCrea will be right next to Lance Armstrong's name because the courage, faith, strength, determination and love shown by Valerie every day of her life surpasses that even of Lance. She is amazing. She does not look back. Does not complain. She only moves forward.

At USC when she was lying in bed with a life-threatening blood infection and quietly dealing with all the pain and discomfort that go with such an infection, Val's nurse mentioned that her daughter had died a few years back. We could tell that this sweet, quiet lady was still so saddened by this. Val put out her hand to the nurse and asked if she could pray for her. With such a genuine heart Val prayed for this nurse and we could tell the nurse was so moved by such and act of kindness. Could it be Val was the first person to pray for this woman? Val is my hero. Even in her situation she puts others needs in front of her own. God is well pleased with my sister.

GO GREEN

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went GREEN a couple of weeks ago!!! I bought a whole buch of green bands and passed them out! Even my 6 year old daughter is wearing one! It is too big for her wrist, so she wears it around her ankle. She often looks at it and makes sure to say..."Mom...we have to pray for Val!" And so we do!!!

Val is everything you have written! She has been a life altering inspiration to me! When I see her, she brings a smile to my face and a warmth to my heart that is so very special to me! And I know that she does that for everyone she comes in contact with. Our Lord shines through her in a blinding way...I thank God for Val every night...and for you, her family! You have shown all of us what the definition of family and faith is!!! God works through each and every one of you...and I thank Him for that...you touch all of us in ways that we will never be able to thank you for with words. And so we thank our Lord for you...we pray for you unceasingly...and we consider ourselves BLESSED to have come to know all of you!

And Val...you read those words your sister wrote... BELIEVE the words she wrote...and KNOW that we all love you dearly! Lord...BLESS this family abundantly! Come beside Val and shine through her...carry her Lord...all the way to the winner's circle...all for your Glory!!!

Love,
Kerry Randall

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for informing us of the Choose Hope website. My mom is a cancer survivor and I have been looking for items that support her type of cancer. I will be wearing a Teal wrist band for my mom and an Emerald one for Val. People like my mom and Val are truly inspiring.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val,

Call me.......I am coming out to see you :)

Love,

Marianne

5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Green is a favorite color for so many of us and now it belongs to Val! I had a herbal pill called Chloraphyl I bought from an infa-mercial back in 1998 and it turned out to be in the news alot that year and they said how certian doses of Chloraphyl could help strengthen the blood and add oxygen to the flow of blood as well. They also talked about how it helped with certain types of lung cancers, I bought it for a different reason, but I think it is worth reading up on and if nothing else I had great breathe and NO body odor during the time I was taking the pills....:) I love you Val!

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving is coming in a couple of days, so I just wanted to wish you a blessed, healthy and painless day. I think of you daily, even though I haven't been able to see you.

Again you are always in our thoughts, our prayers, and our hearts.

Love you
Cheri

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home