Friday, March 30, 2007

To Infinity And Beyond


Everybody who knows Buzz Lightyear remembers his rally cry "to infinity and beyond."

I thought of Buzz As I sat and prayed with my beloved Valerie this week while she fought the good fight on the 8th Floor of the Saperstein Critical Care Tower at Cedars Sinai.

I will follow Jesus to infinity and beyond. I will never take my eyes off Him. As Job said, "though He slay me , yet will I hope in Him.

Beloved, the pain we felt this week in the Critical Care Room at Cedars was worse than death. To see our Valerie intubated and restrained with a minimum amount of morphine because of the inability of the liver to process it was not unlike being in Hell.

Imagine the pain of your daughter, conscious and restrained, thinking she is suffocating, and looking at you in wide eyed fear, pleading for your help. It was the most painful night of my life.

To understand where we are this morning, we must go back to last Sunday. Val was dying. Her friends Christina and Pat were with her. We called Dr. Simon Lo at Cedars. He directed us to bring her to Cedars Emergency. She was admitted and an ERCP stent replacement was done Monday evening. Dr. Lo indicated that another replacement would be necessary in two weeks. On Wednesday, Dr. Lo and his colleague Dr. Sadda proposed that we change the stents again rather than waiting for two weeks. After a clinical, poignant, wrenching discussion with Dr. Sadda in the hallway, we decided to take Val home. Not to a room. Not in an ambulance. From Critical care to car to home. We agreed that it would be better to die in the car or at home than in a hospital in Beverly Hills. Dr. B, a skilled and compassionate palliative physician at Cedars arranged the discharge and medication necessary. So home we went. Chris, Val, and Nancy in the Chrysler. Julie and I in separate cars trailing behind.

San Diego Hospice is providing medical services to us. I explained that our intentions are to continue treating Valerie with all medication necessary to fight the infection and to continue saline IV. We made it very clear to them that we understand where Val is medically but we choose to press on with the cure. As long as they are ok with that, they can stay on the team.

Chris, Paul, and Mary Anne are with Val at this hour. My report is that Val is doing well today. 48 hours ago, Hospice said, “she has hours or days to live.” She has already blown away their first projection.

I have three prayer requests: Pray that Val’s stents begin to function normally. I would like to be making a call to Dr. Lo in two week’s time to book a stent replacement. Pray that the IV antibiotics kill the infection. Pray for physical strength for Chris.

Godspeed Beloved
P.S. Just to put our decision to bring Val home in context, can I describe a golden moment to you. After a crisis on Thursday morning at 5 am, Val got in bed with me in the spare room. As I was recalling to Val some of the apostle Paul's letters, Tyler woke up and got in bed with us. As I spoke, Val and Tyler were looking into each other's eyes. He reached over and caressed her face. Beloved, as our Lord said, " a day is as a thousand years in my value system." That tender moment was like ten thousand years.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val, Chris,Boys,and Family

Our hearts and prays are with you.
Love in Christ,
Grandma Mac
Aunt Donna
Cousin Michell and Joe

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is all of those cherished moments with our babies and children that make this life worth living. That is one more moment with her baby Tyler that makes that moment worth living. Every moment counts in this life and I am so happy to hear that Val is sharing hers with the ones that God has blessed her with. I love you guys and send all my prayers for more cherished moments like that. Val P

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy & Richard, thank you for letting us see into your private moments via your updates on the blog.

All of you are in our thoughts and prayers constantly.

Love, Mark & Royce & family

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Mccrea and sloan families
We are praying constantly. We love you all. God's speed.....you are in our prayers. Maggie dog says Hi to all,, especially to Nancy and the boys...... We love you all, Gary and Kay Dale

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tears flow from my eyes at the moment you shared between Val & Tyler! Beauty surrounds us even in difficult times. The light always shines. Thank you for always moving me!

Our prayers are your prayers. I can see you making the call to book the stent replacement in two weeks time. I can see the infection clearing completely. I can see the strength coming back into Val's body and soul.

Much Love,
Terri Ensor

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing all you do. What a witness to all about the power of knowing God.

I think this golden moment is a sign from our Lord above that the right decision was made for all.

I continue to pray for strength and wisdom for your family and that it is His Will that Val will meet with Dr. Lo soon to discuss the plan to win the next battle in this most horrible war.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val and family, you exude and exemplify faith and strength and I just know that with God on our side, with Him all things are possible. Even when things look the bleakest the Lord can pull us out of anything. I'm praying for one day at a time until two weeks from now, you are calling Dr. Lo and moving toward the next step to the continued fight. I'm so happy to hear Val is comfortable now - being surrounded by her wonderful family and friends makes all the difference. Please give her a hug from me. As a mom of two small boys, I got choked up reading about Val and Tyler. I pray for countless more like that.

Much love and prayers always...
Michelle Greer

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all the trials and tribulations that have been witnessed as a neighbor, and friend let me say to those of you watching and praying from all across the country that Val continues to fight and be strong! She is truly a force to be reckoned with. For that matter, so has her husband Chris, Mother Nancy, Father Richard, Brothers, Sister, Aunts, Uncles, prayer groups, etc... We will continue to pray and be strong for you to Val.

The Lawrence's

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In all your trials, through all the pain, you must know what a blessing your statement of faith is to all who have witnessed this site. Our prayers for Val and for the family continue to be for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom and God's provision in the name of Jesus our Lord.
Marvin & Sue

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val is such a sweet and wonderful woman. She is home with her children where she belongs, making each second,minute, day count. Those precious moments with the children will make all the difference. The boys know what a wonderful, loving and caring mother they have, and they will always love her unconditionally. I pray for you every minute Val. May God watch over you and keep you free of pain.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh your words ring so true to my heart. Those precious moments with our children are worth so much. This is Shannon Scott Goodall. I have been praying for you since the beginning. I recently went through my sports albums and was amazed at how many soccer teams we were on together. I have been so empowered by your strength and loving family. Valerie you keep fighting! My 10 year old daughter and I are praying for you daily, sometimes hourly. Madison says, "wouldn't it be great if God just reached down and touched her and made her all better?" OHHH I said, It would be better that any words could experss. Thank you for your recent words of hope. Thank you for allowing your life to be a part of our life. Keep up the fight Val. I'm soooo happy that you are able to cuddle and hold your children and be with your loving family. God Bless you and God Bless your family.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone continues to pray for you day and night.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so glad you are home with your ever-loving family. You are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. We pray that you continue to fight the fight. Your children, your family and your friends all love you dearly. May God allow you to keep the tremendous strength that you have always shown.

Love, Matt, Sara, Jack & William Kellogg

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always thinking of you and keeping you in prayer. I am so privileged to have found your blog site. It has both inspired and humbled me. May God Bless and Protect you. May his face shine upon you. God hear our prayers for Valerie tonight. We come before you with heaviness of heart and ask that you touch her body. Please envelope her and her family with your love and let them feel your presence. We ask this in Jesus Name - Amen

Michelle Bailey

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always thinking of you and keeping you in prayer. I am so privileged to have found your blog site. It has both inspired and humbled me. May God Bless and Protect you. May his face shine upon you. God hear our prayers for Valerie tonight. We come before you with heaviness of heart and ask that you touch her body. Please envelope her and her family with your love and let them feel your presence. We ask this in Jesus Name - Amen

Michelle Bailey

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your pain and heart with those of us who read your blogsite. I is beyond comprehansion for me to fully understand what you have been through and are going through. I just know beyond a shadow of a doublt that Jesus is there with you, loving you each step of the way. God's love and mercy are new every day. I pray that He will uphold and comfort you each moment. My heart and prayers are with you daily, Jan Christian

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TURN YOUR EYES UPON JESUS, LOOK FULL IN HIS WONDERFUL FACE. AND THE THINGS OF EARTH WILL GROW STRANGELY DIM. IN THE LIGHT OF HIS GLORY AND GRACE.

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I am praying for you, I invision God holding you in his arms, and cuddling you like a mom does her child when they are in need. I know he is with you, and your family in your time of need. Every second you have with your family will last a life time....
You continue to inspire us all with your strenghth. I pray that God will continue to give you strenghth to fight this devastating disease and give you comfort through it all...

I love you Val

C.

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a special wonderful person Valerie.. I am glad I got to see and hug you last night. You are so caring and giving and we want to give back to you and your family anyway that we can. I am glad we are neighbors and I can see you all everyday. God Bless all of the McCrea's, Sloans, sister Julie, brothers Jeff and Paul and all your friends.. They have all done an incredible job loving Val....

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home