Tuesday, March 27, 2007

View From 8th Floor

Richard, Julie and I are sitting in the waiting area at Cedars in the Intensive Care Tower. We are on the 8th floor. It has the most incredible view of Beverly Hills and the surrounding mountains. Up close however, there is a sadness. It seems so many come to this city with expectations for greatness and find only poverty. We have been watching the faces of people as we step out of Cedars for a bite to eat or a breath of fresh air.

Chris has left for home with need of interaction with the boys and a good nights sleep.

There is an exhaustion that sets in when you haven't been to bed before 1:30. You would think that if all I had to keep track of was a purse, cell phone and water that I would be able to. But, it is a struggle. We continue to praise God for His presence, His Word and His care. The staff here is outstanding. There is a calm control while taking care of life and death situations.

After Val's stent replacement last night, we were sent to ICU. When we were able to see her, she had a breathing tube in her throat, a tube in her nose and her arms and legs were restrained. She was crying, gagging and fighting the restraints. They didn't want to sedate her to heavily because she has been lethargic. We were all crying and looking for help from the staff but they couldn't sedate her to the extent of knocking her out. We all sat by her for hours telling her to, " stop fighting the tube, take deep breaths, think of being at the beach." The suffering was great. The tube was removed at noon. This afternoon we have a new update for prayer.
  1. She has a blood infection. They have adjusted her antibiotics to the blood cultures.Pray that the antibiotics do their job.
  2. Her bilirubin is 11.5. Pray that goes way down.
  3. Her ALT is 615 and the AST is 337. Normal is 50. Pray they go down.
  4. She is making good urine but the numbers for her kidneys are not good.
  5. Pray she regains some strength
  6. Pray that she can be transferred out of ICU.
  7. Pray for Chris and his sons. Chris is coming back in the morning.
  8. Pray that Val can mentally stay alert.
  9. Richard Julie and I as we stay with Valerie here at Cedars.

"Thank you" seems so little to say to the great team of people that help us. May God bless you richly. May His face shine upon you and give you peace.

God is the strength of our life and our portion forever. Hold your dear ones close to your heart.

Val's Mom, Nancy Sloan

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy, thank you for the call and the update. Sorry I had to go. Kelly and Mary arrived safely; you all are constantly in our prayers.

We love you. Take Care, Royce

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a friend of a friend of Val and Chris's. I have been following this blog since day one. I have cheered along with all your accomplishments and leap forwards, and I have prayed and have been depressed by any setbacks. Val is close to my age, I have kids almost the same ages, and she is on my mind daily. Sometimes I am on this blog multiple times a day.

I wish that no one had to suffer so much. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I wish I could offer you more. My heart hurts.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy and family,
The Harlan family sends our thoughts and prayers to you. May you see His hand of kindness and healing through the kind words of nurses, and doctors and friends.
Rhonda for all of us.

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of Val's family, as well as Val are in my prayers. I know what it is like to have such an ill family member. Keep your faith strong and pray. God will continue to keep Val in his hands and watch over her. I think of you all every day. God Bless you. I am praying for Val. I have asked my cousin who is a minister to have his entire congregation pray for her also.

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your updates duuring this time.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our prayers go out to you Val and your family continuously. Thank you again all of you who continue to update this blog in your precious time. May you come home sweet Val. A big hug and kiss to you. Miss you. You are a strong woman, and we are so blessed to have been friends with you guys.
Praying for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will pray for Val tonight and for her remarkable family. I just want to thank you for the updates.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank for taking the time to give us updates and specific things to pray for tonight.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nancy and Family,

I, too, am sooooo sorry that you had to see your precious daughter the way that you have...I too know what that is like from my experiences with my family. My prayer for you now is that you can find comfort in our Lord's love for you all...in his promises that He has made for you...for there is no greater love, than His love!

My heart aches for you all! And yet, at the same time, my heart KNOWS that all will be as it should be...because we, you, have Jesus on our side!

I thank you with all of my heart and soul for your updates on Val. I cannot imagine how difficult your hours are right now, yet you think of us...you are a beautiful family! How I pray that I could take all of this away from every single one of you! And pray...I WILL!

Tonight...I pray, Lord Jesus, for rest and peace for Nancy, Richard, Julie, Chris...for every Sloan and every McCrea. May they feel your presence with them every second...shower them with the love and grace that only You can give Lord! For your precious daughter Val, Lord, we pray for comfort, peace, rest, HEALING, HEALING, HEALING! I am reminded of words from a song in church on Sunday...and then again on Monday, when our young children sang it in chapel...Lord, You are a "God of wonder...the universe declares your majesty...You are holy...You are holy..." Bless you Lord and bless this family!

I remain in unceasing prayer...my love to you all...please hug and kiss Val...we are here for anything you need...day or night...

In Him,
Kerry Randall

9:19 PM  
Blogger erika said...

I am "keeping watch" here with prayers, just as angels are watching from the 8th floor. God hears our prayers. All my Love XOXO

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart breaks knowing you are going through so much. You are such a beautiful person, inside and out. It is so hard to understand why this is happening. Why this happens to such wonderful people. I miss that I don't get to see you anymore, but please know you are always in my heart and prayers. You will be with me forever.

I pray dear lord, to please, please give Val back her life and lord please look after chris, and the boys to give them the strenghth they need to continue this fight. I pray in your beautiful name... Amen

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is good, he hears our prayers and knows we will NOT not cease. I feel a tremendous peace today knowing that all of you are in good hands. She is resting and healing as quickly as possible, surrounded by love. Something good is happening inside of her, I can feel it, keep the faith. And thank you for keeping us updated.

10:12 AM  
Blogger erika said...

Our God does not grow tired of our prayers. So we will continually pray.

Psalm 69 "Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck.. I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and the flood sweeps over me. I am weary with my crying out; my throat is parched. My eyes grow dim with waiting for my God." vs.13 "But as for me, my prayer is to you, O Lord. At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness."

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last night I woke up at about 1:15 am and spent the next 5 hours in prayer for you all. It's so hard to be the one "standing by" and not being able to relieve the suffering you see and feel. As Easter approaches, I think of those who were at the foot of the cross as Jesus was hanging there. Oh how painful it must have been for them! Not only were they feeling helpless, but also hopeless because they did not know Jesus would rise from the dead 3 days later. But, we are not left without the evidence of God's wonderful promises. He did rise and is alive even today! We know He has the power to heal (even at the 11th hour) but, most importantly, He has given eternal life right now and forevermore to those who trust in Him. Praise God for His unspeakable gift! His mercies are new every morning...may you experience His mercy, grace and eternal love today.
Love, Colleen

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a mom, it must be heartbreaking to see your daughter in such pain. I pray for a higher power to intervene and give her peace of mind and body so she can rest and heal.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for all of you, especially Val, Chris, and the boys for healing, strength, and peace in the midst of all this suffering. Our family has been praying since the beginning of this very difficult path. May our Lord continue to minister His grace, moment by moment, day by day. We love you.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home