Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Sloan-McCrea Team – Springs into Action!

No one ever said we were a ‘passive’, ‘wait and see’ group…….here we go!

After the rather ‘contradictory’ results of the first two month PET/CT scan, the Sloan-McCrea team convened on a conference call yesterday to discuss Where We Are……Where We Want to Be…..and What we have to Do to GET THERE!!!!!

Riding the ‘waves of optimism and pessimism’ as circumstances change over time is a real challenge. Knowing when to be ‘impatient and assertive’, and knowing when to be’ patient and peacefully wait’ is definitely exasperating. Our continued faith and hope lift our spirits and motivates us to ‘charge on’.

Though the PET scan indicated a significant ‘slow-down’ in the metabolic activity of the cancer lesions, the CT scan showed a slight growth in size and number of the cancer cells. Our doctors have expressed ‘optimism’ at the PET scan and are more encouraged by these results, suggesting that the CT scan reflects growth that could have occurred before the chemo really ‘kicked in’, and that the real test of this particular regimen will be at the next two month scan. We will stay the course….but are further questioning our doctors as to the specific results of the scans and their interpretation of these results.

In addition, each of us has accepted an ‘assignment’ to talk with some of the ‘experts’ in GI cancers that we have contacted over the last few months to verify that indeed this is the best course of action (or not) at this time. There is definitely a fine line between patience and ‘wasting valuable time’…..

Submitted by: Aunt Charlene 1/11/2006

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val,

I miss you.....Call me when you get some time.

I am praying for your recovery.


Marianne

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sloan/McCrea Family!
I just wanted to take a minute to say that I have yet to meet this amazing Aunt Char, yet, I have to say to this woman and your whole family...WOW!!! I have NEVER been so impressed by a group of people, as I have been by all of you. You are all truly amazing, individually and collectively!!!
And I believe with my entire heart and soul, that although the waves will come, you and your family will ride them with courage and grace...AND most importantly, you will win this battle!
I also believe, with all that I am, that your family team is incredible, and together, you will overcome this hurdle! And on top of it all...you have the best leader and captain on your team...our Father. Our Lord, who loves you and cherishes you as His child VAl...and as our Father...He will let no harm come to you.
It was great seeing you today...and Kendall had a great time playing with Ryan after school. As Kendall was going to sleep, she was asking for another play date...we can't wait!
Until then...take care dear Val...keep your eyes on the "winner's circle"...what a glorious day that will be! Know, as it has been said by all, that we are praying for you always...and we won't stop! Rest and believe my friend, in Him...
God bless you always...
Love,
Kerry Randall

9:02 PM  
Blogger Kelly & Joel Lester said...

I am so glad that you were able to get some clarification. I am right there with you regarding the impatience. Keep on trucking.

Your fellow Cholangio fighter in Texas,
Kelly

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stay the course and stay positive!My prayers and thoughts are with you!!!
Love to you all!
Laura Hooker

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are checking in with you everyday...and continue to say our prayers. Kerry Randall (comment above) has put in to words what I'm not always capable of expressing! Thank you Kerry! We love you Val, Chris, boys and the rest of the Sloan/McCrea family. We miss you guys.
Love,

Jody and Chuck

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val, WOW it has been a while since we saw each other, but you still have a radiance and beauty that shine brilliantly through the troubled times you are dealing with. Your picture brought a real smile to my face. My family and myself would like to wish you and your family well and we hope that your condition will continue to improve. I must say, I dont know to many women that have the strength and resiliance that I have seen in you during our time working together, please keep it up and stay strong. Everything with my family is fine and I am busy helping the Hemophiliacs of the west coast....Please Take care!!!!
I will be keeping you in my thoughts daily, Donald

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val and Family,

I just wanted you to know we are praying for you everyday. You are always in my thoughts. I've told your story to so many people and have listed your name in prayer groups from SD to CO. You are an inspiration and I feel blessed to know you. God Bless you and your family.

Jamee & Scott Webb (from the river)

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home