Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Travel Lightly In This World


Most of us who travel by air are constantly pushing against the 50 pound per suitcase weight limit. We all carry too much baggage in this life. Never ready for a hasty departure. Such was not the case on the night God commanded His people Israel to leave Egypt.

On that night, after Pharaoh had endured nine plagues, the Lord revealed to Moses that all the first-born in Egypt would be killed by the death angel. He commanded that a spotless male lamb be slain at twilight. One for each family. The sides and tops of the doorframes were to be covered with the blood of the lamb. The death angel would see the blood and passover that house.

Good Most High must be an artist in His heart because He has painted so many pictures for us. In the beginning, the shedding of blood to cover our sins required a lamb for a man. At the time of Moses, it was a lamb for a family. Later it was a lamb for a nation. Do you see where this is going? At Calvary, we beheld the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. The next time you sing "Mary had a little lamb, it's fleece was white as snow", remember Mary's perfect lamb, Jesus, who has become the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Back to that night in Egypt. God gave instructions to roast the meat of the lamb over an open fire and to eat it with bitter herbs and unleavened bread. The fire pictures God's wrath that was poured out on His Son for us. The meat was a picture of what Jesus said at His last supper in Jerusalem. "Take, eat, this is my body given for you". The bitter herbs are to remind us of the bitterness that our sin produces. The unleavened bread reminds us that a little bit of leaven corrupts and causes us to be puffed up.

The people were told to eat in haste and be ready to leave at a moment's notice. Their cloak tucked into their belt, sandals on their feet and staff in the their hand. During the night, Pharaoh commanded Moses to leave Egypt. They left in haste and camped by the sea near Pi Hahiroth.

Pharaoh changed his mind and pursued the Israelites. His armies, like the death angel that had struck the first-born of Egypt, surrounded them. The inevitable outcome was genocide and death at the edge of the Red Sea. Moses stretched out his hands and the Lord drove the sea back with a strong east wind until the sea bed was dry. All the people passed over to the promised land. When the armies of Pharaoh pursued them, Moses stretched out his hand and they were drowned when the sea returned to it's place. The picture at the top is the Red Sea looking toward the Promised Land.

Once again, God has painted a picture of what occurs when we reach the end of our sojourn on Earth. We are pursued to the sea by the angel of death. There is no escape unless God provides a way across to the promised land. Just as He did for Israel, He does for us. For my beloved Val, this is a historical event. For me, it is in future.

A few days ago, Tyler and I were in the car together. he said, "momma in Heaven. I want to go there". God's Spirit reveals great wisdom to two-year olds. He knows that she is in a very real place. He misses her as we all do. To me, Heaven has taken on a new dimension of being closer since my beloved is there.

Hosea asks two questions in Hosea 13:14, "Where o death is your victory? Where oh grave is your sting?" Just as the armies of Egypt were swallowed up by the Red Sea, Paul provides us the answer to Hosea's questions in I Corinthians 15:54. "Death has been swallowed up in victory."

Rick Pollock, a friend of Mark Clements and web developer from Salt Lake City, is putting the final touches on a slide show of Val's life. Soon to be published here. Also, we will shortly link a clip of Val's graveside and memorial service through You-Tube. Stay tuned.

This Sunday, Mother's Day, we were invited by Trevor Hoffman, the Padre's closing pitcher (Hell's Bells for all you Padres fans) to share his box behind homeplate for the game. They are going to do a tribute to Val on the stadium big screen.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. It seems implausable that Val is gone, but Tyler has it correct. She is in heaven. We wish we could lessen your sorrow and help fill the void. Val has left a tremendous legacy, which is evident by Trevor's tribute and the counter on this blog. Val has affected so many people so positively. She is truly a saint! Thank you for your continued postings.

Love, Lisa and Vlasi

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard,
Thank you for continuing to teach us about our Lord through your stories and how you make them relevant in todays world...and in even in your sorrow!
I know that you are pleasing God through sharing all of the wisdom that you have learned over the years.
I too, miss your daughter so much I just hardly can believe it is real! I haven't changed my phone yet, so when when Chris calls is still reads "Val calling." OH, how I wish that were so!
There was a bad accident this week on the 5 freeway. It was a mini van and a semi truck, the mini van lost. The mom and the Grandma were taken to the hospital. Among the carnage were three small children. The Coble children were all killed. They were a similar age to the McCrea boys. While sad for the family and praying so desperately for God to comfort their unimaginable happenings, I was comforted knowing how much Valerie loved children! All of our children! I was comforted knowing that she was there in heaven to greet them with open arms like she had done so many times with her own boys, with my daughters, and so many times with so many reading this' children.

I am reading a book regarding the transition from life to death and I read this quote by Meg Woodson; "A rose will still be a rose in heaven, but it's smell ten times sweeter"
Your daughter made an incredible impact while here! I cannot even imagine what she is doing in Heaven with her preserved body and spirit!
Blessings,
Mary and family

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart skipped a beat when I opened the blog today and saw an update! As is my usual routine, I check in daily and have been a bit sad to not see a new expression. It has become such a place of solace for me to stay in touch with you guys! Thanks for continuing to share.

We celebrate Val! We celebrate her this Mother's Day. She is still a Mom!

Love,
Terri Ensor

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard,

Thank you for sharing with us on the blog. It is a comfort for me to come here and reflect on Val's life. I think about her everday and I miss her something terrible. I still talk to her in my mind and I feel that she is listening to me from up above.

I got promoted today and I believe a big part of it was due to Val. I feel like she is watching over me and looking out for me here on earth. My husband took another position in New Jersey and we were planning to move soon. The timing of the promotion was very timely. I know that there are no coincidences in life and I know that Val always wanted me to have this promotion. It is clear to me that she had a hand in this :) so thanks Val!!

Happy Mother's day to you Nancy. You have been such a strong force in Val's life and I know how much she loved you with all of her heart. She always wanted to make you proud of her.

Happy Mother's Day Val. You were and always will be the best mother to Ryan, Gavin and Tyler.

I miss you

Love,

Marianne

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be at the game on sunday and look forward to seeing the tribute to Val. Her family is in my thoughts and prayers everyday. God Bless you all .

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It makes me feel good that a Padre baseball player is showing support for this rare cancer. Our family was affected by this cancer and now I have a favorite player on the Padres!

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now have a favorite baseball team in the Padres.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank so much for your updates. You write with you heart and I look forward to reading your updates very much.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life is but a series of expereinces that we should cherish. Those of us who have been fortunate to have traveled this journey with your family are truly blessed. We will be there in spirit with all of you forever.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home