Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Gloria in excelsis Deo

Translated into English, this familiar phrase reads, "glory to God in the highest". The Latin is so much more beautiful!

It has been just over three years beloved, since my beautiful daughter left this Earth for her true home. Like us, she was a pilgrim and a stranger whose time here was, in my value system, too short. But oh how she enriched my life by her presence.

"Sunrise, sunset, sunrise, sunset. Quickly fly the years". Tevya's song from Fiddler on the Roof rings all too true in a father's heart.

And then came to me the wakeup call.

Nancy and I were drinking coffee and enjoying the California sunshine on our deck last Saturday morning. She was reading the North County Times and I was reading Paul's first letter to the Church at Thessalonica.

Paul writes, "Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep,". Other places also speak of the death of a saint as falling asleep. In The Acts of the Apostles, Dr. Luke, in describing the death of Stephen, says, "When he had said this, he fell asleep".

Luke and Paul, writing under divine inspiration, were using something that we humans all understand in describing what it means when a christian dies. Luke and Paul are both in that condition "today", as is our beloved Valerie and all the Saints of God Most High throughout the ages.

We fall asleep at night. We wake up in the morning. Usually, we do not remember the passing of the time in between. Or, another similar experience that many of us have had. We have surgery. The anesthesiologist knocks us out. After perhaps several hours, he wakes us up and it seems like no time has passed at all.

If the saints are asleep, what time is the alarm set for? Paul gives us the answer. "God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him-----and the dead in Christ will rise first. after that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds". There is a wake-up call coming for us beloved. And on that day, the bodies of those who have fallen asleep will be transformed in the twinkling of an eye to be exactly like the glorious body of our Lord Jesus Christ. And in the second twinkle of that eye, the bodies of those saints who are still alive will be transformed. Says paul, "therefore encourage each other with these words".

You may argue, what about Lazarous and the rich man? What about Moses and Elijah meeting Jesus on the mount of transfiguration? What about that great cloud of witnesses referred to in Hebrews? These people weren't asleep were they? Yes they were.

When I wake up, occassionally I will remember a dream. When these saints wake up, they too will remember these events as dreams. The only difference is that their dream was actually an assignment from God to perform a specific task.

The end of this matter beloved, is that when Val wakes up tomorrow morning, so will I.

GodSpeed to all who confess Jesus as Lord of all.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard, you write the most beautiful and wonderful things. Thank you for that.

Dawn

11:30 AM  
Blogger Dolly said...

Hello-
I just wanted to thank you for this wonderful blog. I just spent the last hour reading this memorial to your wife/sister/daughter, Val. It was beautiful and so heartfelt-I couldn't help feeling the love that you have for this family member. Sorry for your loss and great longing for this wonderful soul. My husband and I raised our two eldest son's in SLO and have lots of family in Calif. If you ever need a place to stay when your in Utah-we'd be pleased to host your family. What a great inspiration you all are:)

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Mª del Mar Hermoso said...

It's a real tragedy to know the death of a beloved and so much needed mother, wife, daughter... I can't understand why it could happen. I wish you all a long life full of experiences and love, since it is love the only luggage for which people will remember you with a smile in their mouths.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Eline S. said...

I'm speechless, what a beautifull text!

12:44 PM  
Blogger DUŠKA ALŽBĚTA said...


Thank you for sharing, I was fighting my cancer. A week after I turned 45 I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer that spread to my liver. It was a long hard journey but July 19 will be 5 years cancer free after drinking Dr Itua herbal medicine. I wish the best for anyone with cancer and I will recommend Dr Itua to anyone with cancer and Dr Itua will cure you completely. I’m thankful I meant Dr Itua on www.drituaherbalcenter.com. Stay on them about the ox platinum that can leave you with permanent damage. They backed down on mine after drinking dr itua herbal medicine and I don’t have any permanent side effects. Much love from California stays strong . If you have any questions You can write to Dr Itua Herbal Center on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home