Friday, February 03, 2006

It is well with my soul

Horatio Spafford was a successful businessman. When the Great Chicago fire took place in 1858, many of his friends lost their businesses.
After the fire, Mr. Spafford took stock of his life, and decided that he no longer wanted to live for the gain of material things. He wanted to get to know Jesus better and decided to move his family to Jerusalem. Just before his ship was scheduled to sail from New York, he was compelled to return to Chicago to resolve a problem with the liquidation of his assets. His wife and four daughters sailed. He planned to meet them in France.
Mid-Atlantic, the ship was struck by another vessel and sank. The telegram from his wife contained two words, "Saved Alone."
Mr. Spafford took ship to meet his wife in France. One day during the voyage, the captain called him to the bridge. Showing him the charts he pointed out that they were at that very moment over the spot where the ship went down.
To this day, the words penned by Horatio Spafford during this Atlantic crossing have provided strength, encouragement and comfort to all the Saints of God Most High.

When grief like a river, attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll; Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come, Let this blest assurance control, That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought! My sin, not in part but the whole, Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight, The clouds be rolled back as a scroll; The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend, Even so, it is well with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,

It is well, with my soul,

It is well, it is well, with my soul.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, that was great and it is a very good reminder that we are spiritual beings having a human experience.
Michelle

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val-

I am looking forward to seeing you soon. While you were in MN, I was away on a business trip with Randy in South Texas. We were at a ranch where I met this amazing woman named Stormy. In our conversations I learned she is a teacher, owns a day-care center and believes in the healing of prayer. She and a group of women meet once a week to pray together, they come from all denominations. I told her about you Valerie and asked her if she would include you in their weekly prayers. I am thinking about you constantly and praying for you too. I know how difficult it must be going through the testing to figure out the best course of treatment. You have done so with such grace and courage.

I am here for you anytime you want to get together.

With love and friendship,

Amy V.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home