Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Dawn of Victory

As I write, Val, Chris, Ryan, and Gavin are somewhere over the Pacific heading for California. Yesterday was Val's 38th birthday.

We were living in Lakewood, Ohio when Val was a baby. I recall how impossible it was to keep her contained. She would climb out of her crib at night. I took the door off her bedroom and laid it on top of the crib but she pushed it aside. Finally, I put her toybox on top of the door. At last! we could hold her down.

The next morning, the doorbell rang at 5 am. It was our milkman with Valerie in tow. She had made her great escape. There was no holding her back!

Persistence. A quality that Val possesses in abundance. But it is not enough for her to move this toybox. It is too heavy. You can't do it. I can't do it. The medical experts do their best to treat this rare disease. I have the greatest of respect for them. Dr. Lenz, Dr. Tasher, Dr. Nissen, Dr. Drazin. Dr. Goldklang. Dr. Lo, Dr. Frakes. I know we can live long with the cancer, but it's the stents that scare me. I am very grateful that Val is under the best available stent management with Dr. Lo.

Pray for Val as she goes to Chemo 22 this Thursday. Pray for my son Paul, who is at this moment in emergency at Palomar Hospital with an undiagnosed illness.

Pray that all of us will run the race before us with a second wind. Our enemy enjoys it when we get discouraged. And it is very easy to do unless we constantly turn to The Holy Spirit for support.

Godspeed

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi DeuPree said...

I read not to long ago this quote
"Telling the story of your journey
..is the journey itself" All of you (The McCrea's and the Sloan's) have been so generous to share this tough time with all of us. I do know that I find peace in being able to pray for all of you. And Val, ever since the first time I logged on to your blog, not a day has gone by that a prayer for what is needed on the behalf of you and your family has not been asked for in my home. We all feel so very close to you and your family and we love you.
Persistence for some is a difficult and challenging to master. But for others it comes naturally. For you Val it comes naturally, you have been blessed with strength. I remember the first time I met you and you just blew me away with the vitality you possessed and how you could command a room! So Val go command that room! Remember, Miracles happen only if we get up and open the door! The door to our amazing Savior! By prayer, trust and love.
I do hope you and your boys had a beautiful and restful time in Kaui! Did you just love all the chickens!! We enjoyed those adorable postings by Tyler!!
You are a warrior Val and all of the McCrea and Sloan clan are Heros!
Blessings and peace to you all.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home