Monday, February 06, 2006

BLAST OFF to Houston

Valerie, mom- Nancy, and Aunt Char traveled to Houston Sunday afternoon (while everyone else was watching the Super Bowl) for a medical consultation at MD. Anderson, one of the major Cancer Centers known for treating cholangiocarcinoma. We spent the entire day, from 8:30 AM to 6:30 PM, at MD. Anderson, meeting with Dr. Katrina Glover. Val underwent more testing today…..one that we won’t describe in detail, but as Val described it “the test from hell”.

As we revisit our feelings about today’s consultation, we are all encouraged by the thoroughness, caring, and conscientious manner that Dr. Glover and her Physician Assistant, Aki, projected during our visit with them. Dr. Glover was very prepared for our appointment, and communicated with us clearly and directly. We never felt that we had to ‘badger’ her to answer our questions or concerns. She was very warm, positive and pleasant.

Unfortunately we will not meet again with Dr. Glover until Thursday afternoon, it will take that long for today’s tests to be processed, and all scans and slides, etc. that we forwarded here to be analyzed. On Thursday afternoon we will reconvene for a thorough consultation on diagnosis and treatment options, and develop our go-forward plan. Until then, we will just have to spend some time ‘exploring’ Houston. Tomorrow we are meeting Kelly Lester, another cholangio patient who lives here in Houston, to have lunch and ‘sight-see’ in Houston. We look forward to meeting her.

Hopefully we can find a little time for shopping, spa time, exercise, and some ‘girl’ stuff. We are usually pretty good at that!

Feb 6, 2005

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Val!
As always...it was so good to hear your voice! I am happy that all of you arrived in Houston safe and sound. I echo everyone's comments when I say that you are in the best place for you to be!
You have been in my prayers...yesterday...I stayed for both services of church. I just wasn't done praying for you after the first one!
And, I will continue to do! I pray that you continue on this path with all of the strength and courage that has brought you thus far. I pray that MD Anderson has clear answers to all of your questions! And I pray that you feel our Lord's hands holding you and your family. I also for extra energy for Chris and your father over these next few days!!!
God bless you Val...and remember...
Whatever your cross, whatever your pain, There will always be sunshine after the rain.
Perhaps you may stumble, perhaps even fall, But God's always ready to answer your call.
He knows every heartache, sees every tear, A word from His lips can calm every fear.
Your sorrows may linger throughout the night, But suddenly vanish at dawn's early light.
The Saviour is waiting somewhere above, To give you His grace and send you His love.
Whatever your cross, whatever your pain, God always sends rainbows after the rain.
All our love,
Kerry Randall

9:02 PM

9:06 PM  
Blogger Osil said...

Dear Val;
I am too so glad your visit in Houston is going well! Hallelujah, it must feel so good to be treated with such care. I know you're in the right place, and even though I first of all pray that God would reach down and touch you and through His Holy Spirit completely heal you miracoulously as only He can, I pray that the results of the test are positive and uplifting. You're gonna get through this, Val.. I remember how fisty you looked when you were first diagnosed, you had that "I don't care what the doctors say, God is bigger that all this" attitude.. I love that about you! And I know that the faith and strength and hope you are showing through this, have witnessed to so many many people already, and now it is Houston's turn. I know you will touch people there, Val.. You probably already have! I will pray also for your meeting with Kelly Lester tomorrow, that you will be a source of comfort for her, and she for you.

Remember the song this week;

But the voice of truth tells me a different story, the voice of truth says Do Not Be Afraid. The voice of truth, says this is for my glory. Out of all the voices calling out to me - I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth...

I loved what Chris Castillero wrote about eternity.. I never looked at it that way before. We already have eternal life within us through Jesus Christ.. wow what an awesome awesome gift that is! So keep your chin up my friend and cling to Him who sustains you..
We miss you!! Can't wait to see you again..

May the Lord Bless you and keep you
May the Lord make His face to Shine upon you and be gracious unto you
May the Lord lift His countenance upon you and give you peace..

Love ya, Osil :):):)

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val,
I am so glad that your trip went well and that the physician at MD Anderson are treating you with compassion and kindness. You are at an excellent center for your diagnosis.I will continue to pray that you receive encouraging news on Thursday.
Please contact Vicki if you would like to know where to go or would like to have her join you'all for dinner. Call me on my cell and I will give you her cell #. She lives right there and is an oncology nurse. She called me yesterday to make sure you made it and offered to help out. She is a good tour guide! :)

Rest up,

Marianne

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Val, Nancy and Char,
Val, I am so happy to hear the your experience at MD Anderson has been positive so far. I am praying that your test result show good news. While you are waiting for your appointment on Thursday try and relax, go shopping and spend lots of money!! (Just kidding about the money part). I asked my Dad about the reputation of MD Anderson and he said it is one of the best cancers centers in the Country, so you should be in very good hands. I pray for you and your family all the time. My mom and Cindy also pray for you & your whole family. It has been nice to see your dad puttering around the house and I hope he is able to find some peace while working on his projects. I hope to see you sometime soon.
Love,
Joanne T.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home