Friday, June 30, 2006

228 Days


Recently, Jeff, Josh, Jared, and I took a canoe trip down the Cahaba River in Alabama. This is a picture of Jeff and Jared shooting a 4 foot waterfall. We were all a little scared of doing it and considered portaging around. In the end, however, we went for it.

Courage is an odd thing. It can be summoned. It propels us to confront our fear of the future.

But, beloved, God Most High knows the future, your future, every day, every hour. They are all in His loving hands. Your future is secure. Your destiny is sealed in Him.

Courage gains strength as it is called forth. Nicodemus first came to Jesus under the cover of darkness. Later, he debated the legality of Jesus' trial before the Sanhedrin. Finally, he asked Pilate for Jesus' body. His courage grew as he exercised it.

228 days ago, we began a journey into darkness. I don't know how long it will be. I don't know the destination. I don't know what perils await us. But our God's seal of approval is stamped on every day. He is well pleased with the courage of those who call Jesus Lord and lift up their prayers on behalf of Valerie, Chris, and the boys.

Although we have been on a rocky road recently, yesterday's visit to USC Norris was good news all around. Temperature normal. Weight 125 (we want 132). BP 118/80 (perfect!). Bilirubin down, liver enzymes down. Platelets up. And best of all, the CT shows significant tumor shrinkage!

The hardest thing we are dealing with now is nausea and pain. Please pray that Val has great wisdom in managing these two demons.

Finally, please pray that God would come alongside Val and sustain her. It's easy to overcome the fear of shooting a waterfall that passes in a moment, but hard to endure an enemy that has persisted so long with no end in sight.

It is good to remember Paul's admonition in His Letter to the Church at Phillipi, "Brothers, I do not consider myself to have apprehended it but one thing I do, forgetting what is behind and straining for what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus".

Forget the 228 days. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of our lives.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val,
I love what your father wrote about courage. Everyday that goes by I think of your fortitude and the courage that you have shown in the face of this battle. You don't know how much this has impacted my life. I face things that scare me now head on. It is because of you and how you have dealt with your fears and anxiety on this journey that you in turn have changed me. You see Val your undeniable faith and devotion to God and giving your fears to him is in turn giving you strength and enabling you to fight this.
I am so encouraged by your CT results.
This is a win Val!
Be patient with yourself and get your rest!

I love you,

Marianne

5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Val,
I have been following along on your journey since it began, and I have been silently praying for you. It seems only fair that I chime in to tell you and your family how you are ministering to yet another. The courage, bravery, strength, love, but most of all the faith you all have demonstrated has been a gift to us! I think you realize it already, but know there are so many of us out here that haven't spoken up yet or maybe don't even personally know you but WE are being blessed by your family.

Thank you Lord for Valerie and her family. Thank you for the encouraging news this week. Thank you for being with her doctors and continue to grant them the wisdom to know what is best for Val.
Lord may you bless Val and her family this weekend and in the days ahead. May they enjoy each other and the time they are together. May you take Val's pain and just remove it from her. Lord, thank you for giving her such a strong circle of friends that are continually praying for her. Please continue to give friends and family the wisdom to help Val and Chris. Strengthen them all so they can lift up the Mcrea family when they need it most. Most of all Lord will you heal Val as only you can. All glory is to you. We anxiously await the day to see Val in that victory circle. Only you know when that day will be. Until then we all will continue to look ahead to the rest of our lives and thank you for every day Lord.
Kristy (Jody's sister)

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val, May the Lord bless you with his loving hands and heal your liver! May the Lord give your soul, your core the strength to carry you through this journey with cancer. May all your efforts be rewarded with an abondence of longevity and health and happiness. May your parents have long and healthy lives with you and Chris and the boys. May this summer be the most precious summer of your life and filled with the comfort of your closest friends and family. We are filled with your spirit and want to give you back all the blessings that you have made us recognize from our own lives. Love Val P

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val and family!

I am so happy to hear the great news!!! Marianne is right...this is a WIN!!!

I am also in complete agreement with Marianne on how you have changed my life also! Your attitude...your faith...your courage...has completely altered my life...in a glorious way! I now know that fear does not come from our Lord...and that with Him...we can surpass and overcome anything! There is NOTHING we cannot do!!! I will be forever grateful for you...for all that you have taught me...for all that you have inspired me to do...and for the great friend that you are!!!

For now...continue on this journey knowing that you have God with you...all of us praying for you...and great things are to come!!! God bless you and your family Val...we love you! Rest and be at peace!

Love,
Kerry Randall

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DITTO! DITTO! DITTO! Great news!

The Ensor's

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Val and Family!

I'm from México and my English is limited, but I'll try to do my best. :D

How beautiful family you are!

I barely can imagine how dificult it is for you, Val, I have 3 kids too, but for your attitude, words and your faith, Im pretty sure that God will let you and your family be together for many years to come.

By the Love of Jesus our Lord and Virgin Mary, Val, soon will be completely recovered from this situation.

From today you are included in all of my prays!

Hugs,

Margie

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Valand family,
I am Tamara Million's Mom and have heard so many wonderful things about you and your lovely family. Your father and sister have given all of us an insight as to your faith in God and your mighty strength. You have so much to endure and it looks like your prayers and those of others are certainly helping you in many ways. We all have our battles but none as great as yours. You are handling it beautifully and I just want you to know that you are in my prayers and thoughts constantly. Please keep positive thoughts and watch lots of comedies, great for the healing of both physical and mental fatigue. If you need some, I'll give them to Pete and Tam to pass on. You are definitely a lady of courage and I really admire you. Linda Geilenfeldt

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home