Monday, April 09, 2007

Body Soul and Spirit

Since the beginning of time, philosophers, scientists, poets, theologians, and various mental giants have struggled in their attempt to capture evidence of the soul and spirit of a man. Science and medicine know a lot about our physical body. They will tell you, correctly, that the soul doesn’t exist because there is no physical location where it can be found in the brain. Their argument is a bit like the lady who reported that an invisible man had taken residence in her home. The scientist concluded that he didn’t exist because he couldn’t be seen.

In trying to explain what a soul is to my seven year old grandson recently, I picked up a glove and asked him if he thought it was alive. “No”, was his answer. Then I put it on and took his hand in my gloved hand. Now, said I, the glove has come to life because my hand is inside. Your body is like the glove, it comes to life because your soul is inside. Not a perfect analogy, but good enough for me and a seven year old.

And the Spirit of God Most High. What evidence can I present of His presence. That is an easy one. As I sat in front of the fireplace on Easter Morning with Val in her upstairs bedroom, I was reading aloud John’s account of Mary Magdalene, Peter and John going to the empty tomb. Tears of joy are the only evidence necessary to assure me of His presence.

Val’s soul and spirit are leaving us. She is packing her bags. They are easy to pack. Paul tells us that at the end of I Corinthians 13. And now, Beloved, these three remain, faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Why does Paul say that love is the greatest? Because it is the only thing you pack in your bag for the trip to Heaven’s bright shore.

Physically, Val is very much with us. She is sleeping more. No fever. She will have a blood panel done today. Continue to pray that God will intervene and she will return to the land of the living. The prayer of my heart is that she would be present when I leave this Earth.

Char came into town Saturday. She is staying at Val's. Mia, our night nurse was there last night. We are hoping that we can stay on The Critical Care Roster with San Diego Hospice. They will then provide a 24 hour nurse service.

Thanks to all who provided a fantastic Easter dinner for us.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val and your family,
Some years ago I wrote these words. I'm not sure if I've shared them with you before, may the Lord bless your lives, each and every one of you, I continue to pray for you all daily.

I am but a living soul in this body. Healing or no-healing, Our Great and Wonderful Father has provided His presence to us, not merely to escape the troubles touching our life. He is very much there through the troubles of this life, giving me hope to join Him in the days ahead. Tenderly, and very securely He holds on to me with His love, His forgiveness, and His power.

Phillippians 4:6&7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything...present your requests to God. And the Peace of God, which transcents all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Prayers,
Louise in Colorado

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that Char is here. So touched to read your words on a daily basis and be witness to this amazing, challenging journey we call life. Our prayers are with you!

The Ensor's

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home